Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Soofyan


Here is a little summary of my evening with Mr. Stevens

Highlights

I enjoyed the drive. There was pleasant conversation, I felt comfortable. Also Chipotle, the restaurant where we went to eat, was delicious, though I was quite chilly. But I should have relished the coolness because it was so warm in the concert...

anticipating the concert with my friend Brad. I look worried. I'm not.

Sufjan Stevens is amazing. I enjoyed the music, he pretty much only played brand new stuff, I felt like it was a stretch, but it didn't feel too uncomfortable. I especially liked the in between bits of music where he slowed it down and did some folksy stuff. But I also enjoyed a lot of the showiness of the other songs. Even his dissertation 20 minute long epic mini-series of a song had appealing bits and drew me in. He is also very articulate. I liked how he expressed himself. He has a very large vocabulary and he doesn't use the word 'like' as a filler. I am trying to curb my own use of that word. I liked how he explained his road to finding his new sound - exploring new sounds, making a lot of discord and spending some time with that - breaking down completely his old sound to start to rebuild his new sound. He hadn't put out an album in years and he spent a few years in the middle of this process and then through studying the art of that Royal fellow he found a way to connect it. In my mind that means that his study of that art was tactile, that he released himself into the art and examined it from every angle. I like that. It entices me to do more - be more curious and tactile myself.

Sufjan and his band from where I sat

In between songs he told us about a dream he had the night before where he and his bandmates were invited to a concert by Prince, but when they got there it turned out to be just a man dressed up as Prince doing bad karaoke to Prince's music. Anyone who has that detailed of a dream involving both Prince and karaoke is automatically someone I want to get to know. So good.

He wore wings and a flashing visor(?). And silver pants.

He played Chicago.

Lowlight

only one...I was very warm and didn't bring a hair tie with which to pull back my hair.

So there you go. I had the best time.

1 comment: